Here's a tutorial on how to make paper beads. I think we all may have made these before as children, but they are still fun to make and can actually become very beautiful jewelry or accessories to crafts. Besides, they are all unique and handmade by you! Enjoy.
How to Make Paper Beads
TemplateYou don't need to follow a template, however a simple template is attached if required. The template has been designed specifically for rubber stamping. Instead of tapering to a point, there is a small strip that is just wide enough to display some rubber stamping. By varying the size and shape of the paper, very different bead designs can be created.
Beads in the PictureFrom left to right:
- Bead created from paper that has been stamped, with a row of glitter glue dots along each edge
- Bead created from a scrap of paper that has been colored with alcohol inks and over stamped
- Piece of scrapbooking paper that has been stamped in a complementary colored ink
- Basic paper bead created from a piece of stamped paper
- Bead created from scrapbooking paper and vellum that were stamped and stuck together before rolling
- Bead created from paper used as packaging
- Rubber stamps, inks, embossing powders, glitter glue and any other embellishments
- Craft adhesive, any adhesive suitable for paper will be work well
- Thin knitting needle or cocktail sticks
- Diluted pva glue to seal the beads (optional)
Paper Bead Projects
- Paper Bead and Glass Bead Necklace - make a few paper beads and intersperse them with glass beads to make a striking necklace
- Halloween Paper Bead Earrings - these earrings can be adapted for any occasion
- Paper Bead Star - this paper bead star make a pretty ornament
- Paper Bead Ornament - make a large paper bead and use this to hang ornaments from or as a decoration in its own right, you could also make a few and string them together to make an unusual garland
Paper Bead Template
See the following pages for instructions explaining how to make paper beads.
Stamp and Decorate the Paper
Tip: Ink the edges of the paper. This will emphasize the design of the bead and give a more 'finished' effect.
Roll the Paper
Seal the Paper Beads and Finish
Add any other finishing touches such as stick on jewels or other embellishments. Have fun using the beads!